Looking good…that’s what Italians really excel in! Making a good appearance is always top on their list – whether it be in the way they dress or in the way they act. After my recent trip to Italy, I was really inspired by their fashion sense and decided to learn the secrets behind their grace and style. I began reading up on Italian fashion, and was amazed by the simple tricks that one can learn to “Look Good”!
Now, not all Italian women have perfect figures like the graceful model Elisabetta Canalis (and they don’t have significant others like George Clooney!!). They are real women with lumps and bumps and curves – some are short, some are tall, some are plump, some are skinny! But, what they do have in common with the top models is their fashion sense. They learn to play up their assets and downplay their faults with their choice of clothes and accessories. Italian women’s shoes are always stylish, and every figure can benefit from a beautiful pair of heels. Scarves can be used to accent an outfit, and even change it. Different scarves give you different looks, even when you are wearing the same clothes! This is a trick that is very handy when travelling – it is much easier to pack several scarves rather than packing several different outfits! Jewelry is also a great fashion accessory – but it should be moderated so as not be gaudy! And lastly, a good haircut is essential – we all know the importance of a “good hair day”.
Because I am a bit curvy, I decided to look at the tips for le donne con curve, or women with curves! This is what the top designers have recommended:
1. Wear heels to elongate the legs.
2. Skinny jeans are always flattering, again to elongate the legs. I have found a brand at Nordstroms that fit really well. They are called “Not Your Daughter’s Jeans” and they were a great find!
3. A beautiful white pressed shirt is a wardrobe essential – it can be played up with a skirt and heels, or downplayed over a pair of jeans.
4. Skirts should not be too short – knee length is recommended.
5. Colors should be understated with darker colors at the bottom (skirt, pants)
6. Undergarments are SO important – good support and good control are very important to making the clothes fit better. The designers stated that control type undergarments are now very comfortable and stylish, and that they should be considered to be a part of the outfit!
I have incorporated these fashion tips and have purchased some new shoes, skinny jeans, and some white shirts. I have begun to wear scarves to enhance the look…and I have to say, that with some stylish sunglasses and my new hair cut, I am making “La Bella Figura” or at least, I feel like I’m making it!! I walk with more confidence and carry myself with style! Thank you, La Moda Italiana, for all your help 🙂