I seem to be posting lots of recipes lately, but it seems like all of a sudden, I’m discovering all these new ways of cooking up old Italian favorites (and I feel the need to share them!). This one is for Risotto with Kale and Pancetta! Now, who can honestly resist anything with pancetta? Not I, that’s for sure! And this recipe was no exception to the deliciousness (sp?) that pancetta gives to anything it’s added to.
Risotto with Kale & Pancetta
1 cup Arborio rice
1/2 cup diced pancetta
1 bunch kale, chiffonaded
4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1 T. mascarpone
Red pepper flakes
1. Warm some olive oil in a pot.
2. Add the rice and stir it around a bit.
3. Add a splash of white wine and stir the rice while the wine reduces.
4. Once the wine has reduced, add one ladle-full of chicken broth, and stir the risotto until the broth reduces.
5. Continue in this method, adding one ladle full of broth at a time, until the risotto is cooked.
6. While the risotto is cooking, take another pan and warm some olive oil in it.
7. Add the pancetta, kale, and a dash of red pepper flakes (to taste) to the pan and fry it up until the pancetta is crispy and the kale has softened. Set aside.
8. When the risotto is cooked (al dente), add the parmesan cheese and mascarpone to it and stir until the cheeses have melted.
9. Add the kale/pancetta mixture and stir until it’s all combined. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Serve HOT and enjoy with a good bottle of hearty red wine!
You will love it!